Grant Me the Serenity… to Finish My Archer: Grainline Archer Pt. 2

Sewing and Attaching the Collar

So this was by far the most frustrating part of the whole process.  I have trouble keeping my seam allowances even (I tend towards 1/4 inch seam allowances after years of quilting) and it really came back to bite me when attaching my collar.  Let’s just say I used a broad array of dirty words and let out quite a few exasperated sighs.

Relight 3
My Archer, jankey top-stitching and all

The collar went to together just fine, but when it came time to attach the collar stand to the shirt, it was way too long, like more than an inch too long.  It was infuriating curious to say the least.  At first I thought “well I’ll just give it a go and see what happens,” but after an unsuccessful attempt I took the collar off and shortened the collar stand on each side.  The result is fine, not great, but fine.  The curve of the solar stand is too steep and the aesthetics just seem a little off.

 

The top-stitching is just short of disastrous, meaning that I was too frustrated/lazy to take it out and make a second attempt.  It looks fine (sort of) from one side, but more than a little wonky from the other.  Wearable muslin… (maybe) wearable muslin… (hopefully) wearable muslin…

The Cuffs

I had similar issues with cuffs.  Just seemed like the cuffs were too long for the sleeve.  In an effort to simplify things a little, I basted the pleats in the sleeve so that I wouldn’t have to worry about them when attaching the cuff.  When I went to attach the cuffs the sleeves the cuff were about an inch too long for the sleeves.  After a few more dirty words I just increased the seam allowance to a whole inch on either end of the cuffs and kept on trucking.  Thinking back on it, narrower seam allowances should not have made the sleeves to narrow, so there must be something else going on here. Maybe I took too much width out of the sleeves when I increased the size of the pleats?

Up Next: The Buttonholes

I’ve been putting off the many buttonholes required to finish my archer.  I’m not proud of it, but it’s true, I am a buttonhole coward.  I will somehow summon the courage and complete my Archer.

Until next time.

Resources:

Grainline Archer Button Up Pattern

Jen’s Archer Sew Along

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Grant Me the Serenity… to Finish My Archer: Grainline Archer Pt. 2

    • That makes me feel a little better. I’m hoping that once I have a few more collared shirts under my belt, I’ll be able to find a method that works a little better for me. It seems like the collard shirt aficionados around the web each have a preferred method, maybe I’ll get there someday too.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s